The Fall issue features our annual Fiction contest. For more information on how to enter our contests, please see the contest submission guidelines.
We only accept submissions through our Submission Manager. Please submit your work electronically. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable as long as we are notified if a submission under current consideration is accepted elsewhere.
How to Submit
Please use our online Submissions Manager and send a submission that provides:
- A single .doc or.docx document (excepting art submissions) that contains your Cover Letter, followed by your work. Please read the Genre Guidelines for information about formatting your work.
- Your Cover Letter should include your name, address, phone number, email address, how you heard about So to Speak, and brief bio describing your background as a writer or artist and any applicable awards or publications.
- Any applicable contest fees will also be paid online.
We will also notify you about the status of your submission electronically.
- Please send up to 5 poems at a time, not exceeding 10 pages total.
- Poetry submitted during the August 1 – October 15 reading period will be considered for our Spring annual poetry contest & must be accompanied by a $15 reading fee. See contest guidelines.
- Poetry submitted during the January 1 – March 15 reading period will be considered for our Fall issue & requires no reading fee.
- Please submit one prose piece at a time, not exceeding 4,500 words.
- All fiction submissions should be double-spaced with numbered pages.
- Fiction submitted during the January 1 – March 15 reading period will be considered for our Fall annual fiction contest & must be accompanied by a $15 reading fee.
- To enter, submit a manuscripts not exceeding 4,500 words (with double-spaced and numbered pages) and a cover letter through our Submission Manager.
- All entrants will receive a free copy of our Fall 2013 issue.
- Judge: Asali Solomon
- We welcome submissions of personal essays, memoir, profiles, and other nonfiction pieces not exceeding 4,500 words.
- All nonfiction submissions should be double-spaced with numbered pages.
- Nonfiction submitted during the January 1 – March 15 reading period will be considered for our Fall Issue & requires no reading fee.
- Fall 2013 Art Contest: The “Hybrid” Book
- Visual Art submit from January 1-APRIL 15
- click here to view full 2013 contest guidelines.
- Jurors: Helen Fredrick, Alice Bailey, Brigette Reyes.