So To Speak considers unsolicited submissions of previously unpublished poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and visual art for every issue.
We are looking for work that matches our intersectional feminist viewpoint. We strongly encourage you to read our most recent issue and our mission statement before submitting.
/ reading periods
We read for spring and fall online issues & a print contest issue (usually published in the summer). See our Submission Manager to see if we are open for calls. We no longer accept paper submissions and do not accept email submissions. We respond to all submissions in one to four months.
We only accept submissions through our Submission Manager. Please submit your work electronically. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable as long as we are notified if a submission under current consideration is accepted elsewhere. We are unfortunately unable to compensate our writers at this time.
how to submit
Please use our online Submissions Manager and send a submission that provides:
- A single .doc or .docx document (excepting art submissions) that contains your Cover Letter, followed by your work. Please read the genre guidelines below for information about formatting your work.
- Your Cover Letter should include your name, address, phone number, email address, how you heard about So to Speak, and brief bio describing your background as a writer or artist and any applicable awards or publications.
We will notify you about the status of your submission electronically.
- Please send up to 5 poems at a time, not exceeding 10 pages total.
- Please submit one prose piece at a time, not exceeding 4,000 words.
- All fiction submissions should be double-spaced with numbered pages.
- We welcome submissions of personal essays, memoir, profiles, and other nonfiction pieces not exceeding 4,500 words.
- All nonfiction submissions should be double-spaced with numbered pages.
- We are open to any form of artwork. Past issues have included photography, sketches, paintings, digital media, and images of various installations and sculpture.
- All submissions must be in jpg or tif formats at 300 dpi. Please submit individual entries as LastName_Title, and include
dimensions if applicable, the materials used as applicable, a brief description of the submission, and a brief artist’s bio.
- Please submit only once per reading period
We welcome submissions for the following categories:
- The Feminist Artistic Process (Prose and Poetry writing, Visual Art, Photography)
- Micro (fiction or nonfiction)
- Book Review
- Personal Essay
- Experimental – Bending of Form, blending of genres. Surprise us! Wow us!
All Blog submissions not to exceed 1200 words. Micro submissions not to exceed 500 words. Please also include a cover letter in your submission detailing your personal experiences and background with feminism.
/ publication rights
So to Speak acquires First Electronic, Anthology, and Archival Rights upon agreement to publish a piece. What this means for you: So to Speak will be the first outlet to publish the piece, and preserve digitally-accessible archives in which a piece may appear in perpetuity in addition for consideration in our annual print volume containing work published over the preceding academic year (which runs May – May). However, once we publish a piece, all other available rights revert back to the author and other publications that take previously-published material may print or display the piece.
As a small kindness, should the piece be accepted for further publication, we request that So to Speak: a feminist journal of language & arts be credited as the place where the piece first appeared with hyperlinks, where practical.
/ questions or comments
If you have additional questions or comments that aren’t answered anywhere on the site, please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org